Can you tell I’m happy????
The thin mints were a success!!!!!
Here’s the recipe I used (from Cakespy):
2 and 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt (I used less, and didn’t notice a taste difference)
1 C sugar (I used the full amount this time, but I could definitely reduce it in the future)
1/2 C butter (I used a “light” butter because that’s what was in the fridge)
1/3 C milk of any kind
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (could be omitted)
3/4 tsp peppermint extract (More or less depending on preference)
For chocolate coating:
10 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate (I used semi-sweet chips)
1/2 C butter
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, and cocoa.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. With mixer on low speed, add milk and extracts. Gradually add in flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Shape dough into two even logs, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for at least an hour and a half. The longer you freeze the dough, the easier it is to cut.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove dough from freezer. Slice into rounds. For a more “thin mint” texture, make sure that the rounds are no thicker than 1/4 inch. They won’t spread very much, so you can place them closer together on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, remove from oven and set on a wire rack until cooled.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a medium saucepan. It will make a nice, thick chocolate sauce. Drop in cookies, turn with a fork to coat with chocolate. If the sauce begins to harden, you can heat it up until its back to the right consistency.
- Place dipped cookies onto parchment paper, and let cool until chocolate hardens.
Note: The dough is incredibly thick, and I ended up not even using the mixer while adding the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture. I kneaded it pizza-style, and trust me, if you do the same, you can call it your workout for the day. The next morning, you’ll have arms so toned that Madonna will be green with envy! =D
Makes about 40 smallish cookies.
So besides baking, yesterday I took one test and studied for another. Then we went to our friend’s house, and brought some cookies with us!!!! This is the same friend that recently had surgery, and she’s doing really well!!!!!
Today, its super-duper cold outside (like 17 degrees) and I’m really dreading getting out!!!! But, we’re going to church, so its not like its something unimportant or anything…=P.
What has been your favorite thing that you’ve baked recently?
Hope ya’ll have a wonderful Sunday!!!!!